Superannuation is a form of savings, where money is set aside by you and/or your employer and invested for your retirement. It is a very tax effective way to save for your retirement. Superannuation can also be a tax effective way of holding life insurance.
There are a number of benefits to optimising your superannuation as a means of wealth creation. For more information on Superannuation, including the advantages of Super, Corporate Superannuation and Self Managed Superannuation, see our superannuation page.
Tax Minimisation Strategies
There are many ways to reduce the amount of tax you pay, just remember to always keep your investment plans in mind and make sure you give yourself a lot of time to review everything before tax time.
Someways to save on tax are:
- Contribute as much as you can to your superannuation
- Take as many deductions as you are legally able
- Look into tax effective investments
- Salary packaging
Some deductions that may be available are:
- Self-employed superannuation contributions
- Income protection premiums
- Interest/fees on borrowing for investment purposes.
We are happy to work with your Accountant to ensure that the advice provided is incorporated into the financial planning process.
Gearing (borrowing to invest), can be a powerful means to build wealth. It allows you to increase your ability to build wealth by enabling a higher level of investment than would otherwise be possible. You can either positively gear or negatively gear. Positively geared investments are cash flow positive whereas negatively geared investments are cash flow negative (which may be tax deductible).
The Benefits of Gearing:
- Enables you to understand a higher level of investment than may otherwise be possible.
- In favourable market conditions, your earnings can be multiplied.
- Generally, if the cost of borrowing exceeds the income generated from the investment, this excess is an allowable tax deduction.
- If you borrow to invest in shares you may obtain imputation credits which can be used to reduce the amount of tax you pay.
The Risks of Gearing:
- An asset may not provide the expected return.
- The market conditions under which you are borrowing may change. If you over-borrow, rising interest rates could restrict your ability to meet the loan payments.
- If you rely on the income from the investment/s, there may be periods where it produces little or no income, or even losses.
- Gearing can multiply your loss.
If you take out a margin loan , and the market value of your investment falls enough to cause the balance of the loan to exceed the maximum lending value of your portfolio, you will be subject to a margin call.
Long gone are the days when retirement signified the end of your productive life. With current life expectancies, we can expect to stay fit and active for many years in retirement. Planned well and managed effectively, retirement really is a new beginning, presenting with it many new opportunities.
Retirement planning can assist you to plan and manage your financial situation for your retirement allowing you to maintain a regular income, enjoy life and retire with confidence.
A sound retirement plan can help you:
- Prepare for your retirement
- Select the best superannuation
- Ensure you obtain the maximum tax and social security benefits
- Secure your assets
- Utilise tax-efficient strategies to transfer your wealth
- Plan your estate so your loved ones are taken care of
With the right investment strategy and the use of tax effective income streams (such as allocated pensions and annuities) we can help ensure you enjoy a comfortable retirement.
Enquire today about about our wealth creation services.